(Mikah preparing to grow Archaea.) This week we started a new unit study for science – Bacteria. We started by learning about the 3 domains of living organisms. (Bacteria, Archaea and Eukaraotes) This was all new information for me – so, I am learning right along with my 3rd grader! (I knew about the outdated system with 5 kingdoms. If you do any research you will find a maze of confusion in the way to classify living things. I talked to a graduate student in microbology and *think* I have a basic understanding.)
We started off the week learning a little about Archaea. (Sometimes referred to as extremeophiles or the outdated term, Archaebacteria) I used the free resource Classic Science – Elementary Life Science. This resource uses some outdated information – so, I adjusted accordingly. (Parents guide, Chapter 4, page 35) After studying Archaea we completed some lapbooking / notbooking pages I made. (Click on the thumbnail to download as a PDF)
Because both Archaea and Bacteria are prokaryotic, we also made a prokaryote cell and discussed the ways prokaryotes and eukaryotes are different at the cellular level. Our prokaryote cell is made from a container that held a halloween pen in the Target $1 section. A baby soda bottle test tube would also work well. The cytoplasma is hand sanitizing gel and the ribosomes are seed beads. The DNA is a long piece of string. (We taped the ends of the container closed with clear packing tape) For the capsule we used a toy ball that we cut the printed face off and pulled around the container. (Also found in the $1 section at Target. We also considered using a childs tube sock or woman’s knee high hose. The ball was the perfect solution because it also models the pilla.) When you cut the face from the ball it leaves a “cut away” area that allows you to look into the cell. We added ribbon flagella for the final touch.